Samstag, 20. September 2014 von Heiko Tietze und Martin Yrjölä
In the course of redesigning the keyboard layout switcher we got to a point where a decision has to be made with two options. The question is whether you want to have the layout switched on left click (efficient) or to chose it from a new pop-up (consistent with KDE HIG).
Option 1: Pop-up on left-click
- Consistency with the default system tray applets
- Place for more eye-candy or utility like the preview-functionality and a KCM-shortcut
- Mouse wheel can still be used for fast layout switching
- Two clicks to change the layout instead of one
- Right-click menu becomes unnecessary because all functionality can be put in the popup
Option 2: Switch layout on left-click
- Doesn’t change old behavior. Everything works as before
- More efficient, you can change layout with one click or by scrolling the mouse
- A layout list is provided in the right-click menu
- Inconsistent with the default system tray applets
- Keyboard layout preview will be four clicks away (right click->configure (opens KCM)->choose layout-> click preview)
A similar voting was done before on the forums but with only a few replies.